The Pathology Laboratory at the Southwest National Primate Research Center (SNPRC) at Texas Biomedical Research Institute offers anatomic and clinical pathology services to research scientists, investigators, veterinarians, and physicians at Texas Biomed and other research facilities.
Southwest National Primate Research Center at Texas Biomedical Research Institute
8715 W. Military Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78227-5302
Phone: (210) 258-9894
Fax: (210) 258-9807
Primary Point of Contact: Edward J. Dick, Jr., D.V.M.
Our ACVP board-certified pathologists – Edward J. Dick, Jr., D.V.M. and Olga Gonzalez, D.V.M. – are available to discuss laboratory results, research protocols and consult on difficult clinical cases.
What we offer
- Necropsy procedures of primate or other species. We collect case or study specific tissues utilizing multiple techniques such as fresh, fixed, frozen, and sterile media. New methodologies can be developed upon request.
- Histopathology, including cytopathology, OCT embedding, cryosectioning, immunohistochemistry, and RNAScope (in situ hybridization). Diagnostic interpretation, tissue scoring, microscopic evaluation, and imaging of tissue samples by board-certified veterinary pathologists.
- Chemistry, hematology, and coagulation testing are performed on state-of-the-art instrumentation by our ASCP certified medical technologists who have over 77 years combined experience in the laboratory field.
- Daily quality control monitoring and quality assurance programs.
- Statistically relevant reference intervals for colony-specific species including baboons, chimpanzees, macaques, and marmosets.
- Customized profiles:
- Sophisticated serum banking system with archived sample.
- Referral testing – referrals are sent to national accredited laboratories for diagnostic and research testing when in-house testing is not performed
Anatomic Pathology Services
- Gross dissection, all tissues
- Tissue collection, multiple tissues and techniques
- Tissue perfusion
- Tissue fixation, various methods
- Processing/tissue infiltration
- Paraffin embedding
- Slice microtomy
- Hematoxylin and eosin staining
- Special stains
- OCT Embedding
- RNAScope in-situ hybridization
- Diagnostic histology interpretation/microscopic evaluation
- Tissue lesion scoring
- Photography, gross and histologic
- Stereological microscopy (must supply your own technician)
- CBC w/ differential
- Platelet counts, manual and automated
- Sperm counts
- Fluid analysis
Chemistry Testing Panels
- Routine chemistry profile (13 tests + 2 calculations)
- Whole chemistry profile (21 tests + 2 calculations)
- Chemistry panels can be customized for any specific study
- Total protein
- Total bilirubin
- Alkaline phosphatase
- ALT (SGPT)
- AST (SGOT)
- Urine chemistries
Additional Chemistry Testing
- A wide menu of additional tests can be adapted to our DxC 600 chemistry analyzer including:
- Hemoglobin A1C
- T3 uptake
- Ova and parasites
- Occult blood
- Screens for Giardia, histolytica and C. parvum
- B-Type natriuretic peptide
- Bacterial culture and sensitivity
- PT (prothrombin time)
- APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time)
- FDP (fibrin/fibrinogen degradation product)